January 12, 2007

The Pittsburgh Zoo's Spring Plans

Recently, Spokesperson Connie George from the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium left a comment explaining a bit about what's happening at the PZPPGA. I thought I would give the info she shared a bit more prominence:

Thanks for the compliments. I love your pictures too! To answer some of your questions, the Pier will be complete by Spring, with more interactive and educational exhibits that have the same look and feel. It will include viewing of sea otters and walruses, and a small amphitheater to view walrus feedings and training sessions. When you exit the pier, you'll roll around under it to go through a 30-foot tunnel under the polar bear pool, so that you can see the bears swimming over your head when they are in the water. Then you'll see sea otters under water when they dive into their kelp forest, and finally another tunnel for underwater viewing of walruses (the only one in the world that we know of). We also plan to add a boat with educational interactives on the outside of the pier that people can walk through and learn a little about conservation while they are having fun.

We should have an octopus soon. Squirt, the octopus we had, recently died from old age. Old age, that is, is roughly four years maximum. We, especially his keeper Jen, loved him, and we miss him very much.

I hope to see you in the spring when the rest of the exhibit opens. Sea otters are really awesome. They have between 600,000 and 1 million hairs per square inch. I wonder who counted all those to figure that out!??

There's lots of other cool facts, but this isnt' a commercial. I just wanted to let you know what's goin on and tell you that I'm glad you like the exhibit.

The plans sound great, but I'm sorry to hear about Squirt. Send my condolences to Jen.

And thanks for taking the time to share, Connie. I will definitely be there in the spring, as should anyone in the Pittsburgh area. I can't say enough in support of this zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment