November 22, 2006

A World Is Born

I'll be gone for the next few days, so I thought I would leave some lasting entertainment: about 4.5 billion years worth.

I found the entire "A World Is Born" segment from the original Fantasia, one of my all time favorite parts of any movie. Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring* and evolution? I'm enthralled. Sure T. rex has three fingers, but we can all make excuses like, "It's an Allosaurus, really. A big one."

Apparently, Disney originally wanted to follow evolution to the dawn of human beings, using the entire ballet, but was constrained by time. I'm sure if he had done this originally, the movie would have been even less popular than it actually was back in 1940; as the story goes, Fantasia bombed when it was first released.

Enjoy the vids and your holiday. I'll be back next week.

Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

*Just as a by the by... Stravinsky was "not impressed" by the adaptation of his ballet to the animated feature; many sources attribute this to his distaste for evolution driven by a strict conversion to Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment