April 18, 2006

The Voltage Gate

Hi. Welcome. I suppose I should introduce myself.

My name is Jeremy, I am a non-traditional biology student at Frostburg State University, a small college in the western mountains of Maryland.

Though my degree is in bio, I am really pursuing a career in writing. I am the managing editor of The Bottom Line FSU's underfunded, understaffed indy student newspaper, where I fufill not only the role of manager and copy editor, but also the role of science, music, pop-culture and political writer.

The Voltage Gate refers to the ion channels (voltage-gated) that line the membranes upon which nerve impulses travel. They open and close according to the electrical impulses traveling along neurons, allowing the movement of ions across the membrane in order to continue the impulse, the action potential, the pulse of information.

No comments:

Post a Comment